Disposable bikes for £15...
  • "I've reinvented the wheel by designing a bike that doesn't work, is completely unsafe, won't last very long, and is exactly the kind of thing that we shouldn't be trying to do"

What a bloody idiot. This is the kind of shit that people do for their degrees? For fucks sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've got a better idea. Build bikes out of steel so that they last a long time. Steel is recyclale. Steel is strong.
    Oh hang on, some genius already had that fucking idea!!!
  • Anyone want to buy a chocolate teapot?
  • Dunno... Wack a few hundred quid on it, paint it with leaves, market it as the Eco-Bike, increase the structual strength enough for hipster mileage and they'd sell like iraqi oil...
  • soup in a basket!
  • wooden bikes are sooooo last year
  • I know this kid. I used to ride with him for wills wheels and he is fucking fast. and he is a long way from being an idiot.

Seems like a good idea. it's obviously not for messengers, but I reckon you could see more public bike hire schemes with something like this.
  • "wooden bikes are sooooo last year"

it's not even wood though, it's cardboard.

ok so cardboard is made from wood but you get my point.
  • "Seems like a good idea. it's obviously not for messengers, but I reckon you could see more public bike hire schemes with something like this"

what company is gonna waste money on something that won't last? it will be more expensive in the long run.

and if hire companies do go for it, i wonder how much the first punter to sue the hire company will recieve for their injuries when the bike breaks...
  • How do you know it won't last? How do you know it'll break. Usually, when people design things they take these sorts of issues into account.
  • Because it's made out of cardboard. If he proves my doubts wrong and builds a cardboard bike that lasts longer than a steel bike, then I'll accept that it's a good idea.

However, as you can clearly see in the video, the thing doesn't even fucking work (yet).

I don't see the problem with good old metal bikes. Why try and reinvent the wheel? Bikes are already pretty much perfect the way they are.
  • if you had a day of publicity to do and 20 journalists all wanting a go on your prototype you would understandably be a bit nervous

I think its a bit of an off key idea, But i think people who have any sort of idea should be encouraged.
  • Tubes made from some sort of chicken wire (or stronger equivalent) covered with paper mache. Coated in a resin to waterproof... Or something like that?
  • Did this bloke steal yer girlfriend Iron? You really seem to have it in for him
  • Didn't some GCSE kid build a wooden bike for his DT project a couple of years ago?
  • Best Goddamn "Cup A Pizza" in town !
  • yes fill the tubes with dough, tomatoes and cheese ride on a hot day and eat after work, brilliantissimo, how are you dec?
  • "Did this bloke steal yer girlfriend Iron? You really seem to have it in for him"

If he had stolen my girlfriend I would pat him on the back and thank him.
  • 'The only information that this geezer has given is that it's a cardboard bike that will be produced "in a similar way to eggboxes" (!). He hasn't said why it's better than metal bikes (apart from they're cheaper and less likely to be stolen...), he hasn't said why the bike getting wet in the rain "isn't a problem", he hasn't said anything about safety, strength, flammability, woodlice, etc. etc. So why should I have any faith in it?'

Do some research, don't just watch the bbc

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1055643_on_the_go__15_cardboard_bike

He hasn't said why it's better than a metal bike because he recognises It won't be better than a metal bike. It's not for couriers or racers, its for commuters and people doing their shopping

Look, I used to ride with this kid, as I have said. He's an experienced amateur racer who's put the pain on me on many a pennine and peak. he knows what a bike has to do. His father is an engineer as well as a cyclist, so thats another source of experience he has to draw on

"if he was nervous about 20 journalists all wanting a go on his prototype then perhaps he should have thought twice about going to the press until he got an actual working bike produced "

Why do you think people go to the press when they have unusual or innovative inventions? Usually it's to get publicity to get investment to take the idea further. they don't just sit in their houses rubbing their hands and saying 'what a clever fellow am I'

Who the fuck is Gillian McKieth? what did she invent?

Critcise when you know what you are talking about. Even then, offer constructive criticism, not 'you're a bloody idiot because I don't understand what you are doing.'

I WILL be buying one if It see's production. I think it's a cracking idea.

Oh and as for the bit about the bike being perfect as It is, what about disc wheels, Aero bars , electronic shifters and Graeme Obree. there is always room for improvement.
  • Gillian McKeith invented her own medical qualifications.
  • ah. very relevant then.
  • she made a lot of money by pointing out to fat people that their shit stinks. I wish i'd thought of that.
  • The BBC piece I saw on the box insinuated in no unceratin terms that it's "green".....can't see how a disposable bike that has to be replaced every six months (his own words) can be more green than a steel bike that can last for a hundred years, what with all the energy used in building new ones, distributing them etc, the fact that it's biodegradable is a red herring.....also the funniest part of the piece was that it was unrideable.....neither the presenter or the inventor would ride it!!!!! as for the £15 quid cost....cost price of materials maybe, factor in (UK?) labour, packaging, marketing, distribution, profit margin and it would be amazing if it came in under a ton.

That wooden bike was amazing, he even had a wooden freewhweel mechanism and chain!!!!! now that's impressive.
  • I am about to try and fix my chainset with a shim made from a coke can. Recycling in action. if it goes well i will be expecting a lot of media interest, a good slagging from Iron and a stout defence from JohnS.
  • wooden bikes are sooooo last year
  • @ Will

Coke cans are ace. they hold my handlebars to mhy stem and my stem to the rest of the bike. i prefer beer cans usually, cos you have to drink them first.

@Iron

"Oh and as for the bit about the bike being perfect as It is, what about disc wheels, Aero bars , electronic shifters and Graeme Obree. there is always room for improvement."

Oh yes, and all of those things are found on standard bikes aren't they.

Yes, they are. How many people have deep section rims, often called Aero Wheels designed to be faster than normal wheeels. How many couriers ride with Lo Profile bars, popularised by Francesco Mosers hour record and designed to cut drag. what about STI or Ergopower. 10 years ago, you hardly saw integrated shifters unless you were looking at a bike owned by a hardcore cyclist. Now everyones got them. carbon forks and frames, aluminium frames, titanium frames, tubless tyres, disc brakes, suspension forks, full suspension bikes, the Aheadset... I could go on, but the phones ringing.
  • John Sat It's funny what you say about all these technical improvements of the bike and how a lot of couriers opt for one gear, one or no brakes and keep it simple as possible. My excuse is that i hate bike maintenance and a fixed just keeps going and going no matter what. You don't even need to clean the chain for a whole winter
  • Yeah f*ck cleaning chains man.When mine gets too dirty I buy a new one.I only ride fixed cause it's looks good with skinny jeans.Knowhatimean Zack?
  • John, let's stop arguing and just agree on what I said before: "If he proves my doubts wrong and builds a cardboard bike that lasts longer than a steel bike, then I'll accept that it's a good idea."

Fair enough?
  • fuck that, you should keep going. i'm fascinated that theres someone on teh internets that thinks cardboard bikes are a good idea.
  • Hello dear movingtarget devotees. I'm Barry's brother Gary. I ride a lowrider cardboard bicycle. Iron eye and john satisfaction should come together as brothers and spread the word, that word of love, the word of krishna.
  • come together as brothers and spread the word, that word of love, the word of krishna.
  • Overdrive i feel your hurt. My brother barry only wishes to help you. Come to oxford st and we will dance together in the sun and ding our bells as one.
  • @ zack

to be honest, I'm going back to gears. My jobs involve a lot of long straight dual carriageways, so fixed is a bit limiting speed wise.

@ Iron

Who's arguing?

and your premise is flawed. It won't last longer than a steel bike, It's not meant to.
  • typo above, should read

*and your product is flawed. It won't last longer than a steel bike, It's not meant to.
  • "It won't last longer than a steel bike, It's not meant to."

Then it's not very eco friendly.

I thought we were meant to be reducing waste, not increasing it.
  • Much less energy needed to recycle cardboard than steel, making it a more eco-friendly process...
    Handy if you went travelling without your bike (which is a pain in the butt to transport), get off a train/plane, slap your £15 on the counter and get a cheap runabout for a few days. When you've finished with it just sling it in the "carboard bike recycling bin" and go home. Or for people who do minimal mileage, a bike made from cardboad would be more eco-friendly to manufacture. Obviously its not aimed at higher mileage, serious cyclists.
  • "Much less energy needed to recycle cardboard than steel, making it a more eco-friendly process..."

Yes but how often do steel frames get recycled? Lets say for arguments sake, steel recycling uses up 10 times more energy than cardboard recycling. But a heavy duty steel bike frame might last 20 times longer than a cardboard frame. Making the steel the more eco friendly one.

Plus, what is going to be holding this cardboard together? PVA glue? I would have thought some pretty eco-unfriendly polymer adhesive would be involved to make it strong enough to ride on...

"Obviously its not aimed at higher mileage, serious cyclists."

Dutch bikes aren't designed for higher mileage serious cyclists either, but I hired one in Amsterdam for 20 euro for 4-5 days.. not much different to the situation you described above really? Except that bike is still being used now and still will be used for decades to come.
  • Paper is capable of incredible tensile strength without using any adhesives, different pulping methods and inclusion of other elements such as graphite would be capable of producing tubing as strong as carbon. The waterproof coating however would be pretty eco-unfrindly...
    Surely this would get more people on bikes due to the cheapness, for £15 you cant go wrong, and perhaps progress from cardboard to steel...
    I wouldnt ride anything other than steel, but good luck to the guy for trying to further the cause.
  • Borges described the Falklands war as being like "two bald men fighting over a comb". I am starting to know how he felt.
  • Dave Moulton takes the piss:

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/cardboard-cycle-and-bobbys-bike-ban.html
  • Please explain how two hubs, 68 spokes, two rims, two tyres, two tubes, one chainset, one chain, two pedals, two brakes, cables and blocks oh and some cardboard can be made and sold for £15.............
  • no no no, please please please don't explain, please

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!