Ray Eden killed!
  • For all you old timers who remember

Ray Eden, former cycling champion, dies after alleged assault

Former national time trial champion and stage racer was victim of alleged assault close to home near Doncaster

* Martin Wainwright
    * guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 March 2011 18.36 GMT
    * Article history

A former racing cyclist has died after an alleged assault in the street near his home. Ray Eden, 42, was taken to Doncaster royal infirmary a week ago but died three days later. He won the national time-trial championship in 1995 and the same year represented Great Britain four times in stage racing. He worked for a cycle company in Rotherham after retiring from racing and was a keen oarsman. Luke Jolly, 24, who lived near Eden in Scawthorpe, was charged with causing grievous bodily harm before the death and appears at Doncaster crown court on Tuesday.
  • This is sad. RIP mate.
  • That is, Glib. R.I.P Ray Eden.
  • Tragic.

For everyone who doesnt remember him, theres an interview here where talks about his courier days..

http://www.clochette.co.uk/TTF/Scanned%20Articles/1995/95rayedenp1.jpg

http://www.clochette.co.uk/TTF/Scanned%20Articles/1995/95rayedenp2.jpg

http://www.clochette.co.uk/TTF/Scanned%20Articles/1995/95rayedenp3.jpg
  • I wouldn't say I knew the guy really, but he was part of the Hole Tennents Super & fags crew before he started racing.

If you did the Eastway 10s in the early 90s, you would certainly have seen him, normally for a split-second as he rocketed past you. And I recall that he spent a fair few hours in the back room of the Duke playing pool.

He was an animal. I never raced with Maurice Burton, but I guess Ray must qualify as the one of the best racers who used to be a courier, whereas Mr Burton was a racer who became a courier.
  • Helmut sponsored him, didn't he? I remember the medal from his 100 win being pride of place when Sonic was still in the back of Bikefix.
  • I think their was some friendly sporting rivalry at the height of the EW 10 series. Sonic was pushing the aero technology for Ray Eden...but all I know is second hand stuff, chinese whispers.

I did hear he use to do laps of EW before coming out to work...y'know...for extra k's.

And I think it was his record that stood at EW for the ten and maybe for the flying lap, taken by Warwick Spence and later taken by a Polish chap who's name escapes me at this moment.

RIP, and heart felt condolence to those he leaves behind.
  • I don't think Ray ever had a time recorded for the flying lap at Eastway, but his 10 mile record was 21-45.
  • a google search revealed this -

The circuit lap record is held by a former local rider Ray Eden of the Eagle Road Club, who managed to cover the rolling 1.6 km in 2m 01s which to my knowledge still stands to this day but was done with a rolling start, although on the 15/07/03 a standing start lap record was established by Warrick Spence in a time of 2m 05.8

taken from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robertalan.shields/About%20The%20Eastway%20Cycle%20Circuit.htm

Damian Hoy, Eagle road club and another courier, passports and visas. He used to race up Eastway on the Thursday league and I think thats where I heard of Ray. Not sure what he is up to nowadays tho....
  • Damian, yeah, Ray was in Eagle RC when he first doing the road. Last time I saw Damian, which was at a race at Eastway in 2004 or 2005, he was still riding for Eagle R.C.

Thanks for that link, brings back many, many happy memories of races at Eastway.
  • I'd heard he'd died, but didn't realise it was after an assault.....I remember Ray, used to work in a skinsuit! sad news, also sure he won the 100 champs while still being a working courier.
  • He was definitely still working as a courier when he was racing seriously, can't remember if he was still on the road when he won the 100, but I guess he must have been. According to Ian Cleverley, who was controlling him at SD, he used to go out in the morning and train before work, and then come in & ride really slowly!
  • That's right, he did ride really slow at work, guess he knew what he was doing though....
  • Definitely - using work as recovery ride is smart. I think Don "the Canadian Poulidor" Wiley used to do the same thing when he was racing.
  • Smart, but not necessarily what your controller wants to hear, is the way Ian told me the story. "How can a 100-mile TT champion take so long to deliver a package?"
  • HA, READING THIS ABOVE POST MADE ME LAUGH. I WORKED WITH RAY IN THE 90'S WHEN HE WORKED FOR ADC ON THE CITY CHANNEL BRAVO 22. AND YES HE RODE AT A SEDATE PACE AS DO MOST PROFESSIONAL DESPATCH RIDERS. DELIVERING PACKAGES WASNT A COMPOTITION BACK THEN. BUT IF IT WOULD AVE BIN OUR RAY WOULD HAVE BIN ON A ROAD LEGAL CROSSER COMPLETE WITH NOBLY'S!
  • Help Finn Eden:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/teams-and-riders/q/date/2011/11/02/fin21111
  • It only takes a minute to vote!Good luck,Finn!
  • These days you can't race and work. One or the other. Work expects you to put in 10 hours daily. Even at sedate pace just dealing with it takes its toll. Then expect to go training/racing afterwords is out of the question.

I can't compare what traffic was like 15 years ago. But these days, dealing with traffic is the biggest headache in this job. Abolishing all traffic from the centre would be the best thing that could ever happen. At that point deliveries at a sedate but reasonable pace can resume.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!