CITY SPRINT!
  • was probley the best place i worked and i bin doing this 4' 15yrs! but a cnut called patten came and fucked it! now i work 4 pink.... £2.75 mins! sinking sprint! thanks MARK PATTEN you fat tosser!!! sorted
  • it was a profesinal curcit! now a shit curcit! you must be sik SPIRO GIRO!!!! respect!:crazy::crazy:
  • Wayne , out of curiosity but whats the minimum at City Sprint now?
    were you sacked ? or just had it?
  • pound....
    i just had it
  • Wayne was headhunted by Destinations.It was an offer he couldn't refuse!
  • A pound!!
    At last , premium courier services are available to the masses .I think from now on i'll stop going for shopping at the corner , instead i ll book a courier for a Wait and Return.And leave them a tip at the end too!!.
  • Wayne, you had to leave man cos you're a maverick and they tried to clip your wings and put you in a box
  • greetings from wales pinkey pikey on a push-bikey.
  • 415 years on the road? Wow, that is a lot of miles.
  • 415 dockets, thats probibally 15 years of work by today's standards!
  • I'd say that the demise of City Sprints' reputation as the best place to work has been greatly exaggerated.

The rate reduction was done with regret, out of necessity, due to the cut-throat nature of the business and the harsh economic climate. This has resulted in being able to gain some major new accounts.

However now, as soon as we were able, the rates have been restored to the highest sustainable level. With, I might add, the support of Marc Patton who has fully recognized the need the maintain and reward our fleet for their hard work and professional attitude.

Thank you to the vast majority of our riders who have remained loyal.
  • So no City Sprint riders had any reason to complain to anyone who would listen for the last six months then?
  • places I've heard that have cut rates haven't gone as low as citysprint. nor do they expect their riders to deliver shit for free. I hope you are payin peeps more now spiro, but admit that citysprint has of late chiefed its riders.
  • Riders have and will always complain ,sometimes with justification, about anything and anyone, it's a fact of life.

No one has ever been expected to deliver anything for free.

Unless I'm very much mistaken Jonty, you have never worked for City Sprint therefore you do not speak on behalf of our fleet, who were and will now continue to be the highest earners in Town.
  • Staying loyal? (highest earners?!)

Sorry Spiro, but I'm not quite sure where you're getting this.

I loved working at City Sprint for a while. The controlling is as good as it gets and I met some good pals on Scrutton St, on and off the road, and not excluding the podium either. I always felt that a step in any direction from the 'Sprint would be a step down. But any sense of loyalty was quickly diminished when the reign of Patton became apparent to me. When I went up to him and asked him a few fair and honest questions about the rates, he fobbed me off rudely and with the assistance of his colleague, with whom he immediately went back to having a chortle with as I left the room in a huff.

He pertained to 'not really having a clue himself' what was going on with the waiting time, saying it could even have gone as low as 4.00/h with some clients. Continuing on in a blasé manner, he then went on to suggest that it was all really down to a technical error. He estimated that it would take a team of engineers several weeks to sort it out. Sounds more like an afternoon on Microsoft Excel to me, but hey, what do I know anyway.

It was soon becoming clear that how much bread was being won by the riders was in the hands of -someone- who wasn't taking the job very seriously.

I felt I had to leave after a series of incidences when I thought that Jason was actually joking in response to my daily earnings query. For example: 24 dockets, several double rushes, all corners of the town, starting early finishing late (knackered), and 56 quid. No thanks. And let's not forget that you had to go through your paycheque with a fine-toothed comb each week. Highest earners in town, right.

I was glad to see that the rates had been re-adjusted recently, but I'm afraid I just lost trust in whatever system had been devised to add it all up and stick it in my bank account at the end of the day. Apart from all that, City Sprint was good to me and I wish all the best to my friends there.
  • @spiro
    If you come on this forum saying City Sprint are still the best to work for then you will get people saying different.What I've heard from a lot of riders is at odds to what you're saying on here.Every cycle-courier in London has a moan about the job this is true and they also have a right to post their views on this forum,after all it is ours,so I don't think you can with any validity say that Jonty doesn't speak for Sprint riders.He is speaking for all of us as London cycle-couriers.
  • Hi Alex

I respect your opinion and at least, as a former rider, you have a right to express it.

During the many, some may say too many, years that I have worked at City Sprint I have seen,and helped, riders earn in excess of £200 for a days work on circuit, I've sent some all over the world, this is what I mean when I say highest earners and best rewarded.

The new rates are clear and in black and white, what you see is what you getting paid. The 'mileage' system hasn't worked and the zone pricing is back.

I wish you every success at your new company.

Regards, Kev
  • Leaving aside the compliments to individuals for their professionalism and skill at City Sprint and the fact that it is a place were a bike courier could and can earn higher than average wages , i have to ask one thing:Would the people in an office at any courier company take a reduction at their rates due to the cut-throat nature of the business and the harsh economic climate, even if it is only temporarily.NO.The riders on the other hand and that goes for all the companies out there are expected to sacrifice earnings to keep afloat and happy??!! clients (most of them big corporations ) and set aside any personal interests.
    And as loyalty goes Spiro, lays were the money are .Personal ties and affiliations no matter how strong might be are not a substitute for paying bills.No one likes to jump around from one place to another rather than stay somewhere long term and become member of the family, but he/she would expect to be treated as such too, not only in words but with actions too.My experience with CS was short and rather positive on the whole, but i too have gone through the yo-yo attitude courier companies adopt with their fleet as the sad truth is they see them (and rightly so ) as expendable as chewing gum.
  • I think the office staff at Cyclone got a 15% pay cut, having said that riders there probably got more like a 60% cut over the last 3 or 4 years.

I really hope things are fixed at Citysprint it was still a very good place to work last time I did, about a year ago, but I haven't heard a good word about it since.
  • No I haven't worked for you spiro, nor do I have anything particularly against Citysprint (compared to my views on courier systems, fastway, GHL etc) but I have heard many people reporting doings at scrutton street that seem pretty shabby for all concerned. I hope things are indeed improving, as I like it when people earn a fair price for their sweat, but I don't need to play the man from transport and general. I'd take the pepsi challenge against a Citysprint paycheck any day of the week.
  • Fromemory, I salute you.
  • Dear Jonty,

I can't accept your challenge.

You would be at an unfair disadvantage.

Have you earned more than £400 for a days work, been sent to Bermuda or covered more than 87 dockets in a days work?

At City Sprint the cycle courier has and will remain King, long may it continue.
  • £400 for a days work at City Sprint under me? I dont think so. If I see any driver/rider making more than he should, I just doctor the wages. Motorbike jobs will be downgraded if done by a pushbike, no waiting time will be paid if I can get away with it. You'll be lucky if you get paid for some jobs, cos I got the power to "zero" your dockets, and "he wont notice".
    Come work for me, let me shaft your ripe pushbiking ass.
  • Mmmmm I fancy some van driving manpussy, let me rape you for £42-£92 depending on the size of your "hole".
    Cumon boys!
  • so what happened about those COAs?
  • Did the rider that was sent to Bermuda make it back?
  • I had a chat i remember with that rider about that docket.He did make it back.Although from what he said to me the ratio of his commission/City Sprint commission for that job must have been something like 1/5.Still a good day or two of work in a nice place but makes you wonder what is the mileage ratio for a job like that....i forgot,you don't actually cycle there, you sit on a plane.
  • I feel a song coming on.....
  • Sing, John - sing!!
  • Yes, the Sprint legacy is strong, but lets face it, are those days really still around? Robbie's golden radio, the Bermuda adventure and 400 in a day... seems like the days of yore, n'est-ce pas?

What's important now is that every London courier can have trust that their controllers are watching out for them and rewarding hard work. It's nice to know you've earned respect as well as money at the end of a long day.
  • Well what a great forum although i'm somewhat dissapointed to have my name so badly taken in vain, especially by Pikey. Can't understand why your making everything so personal Pikey, your personal demise at CitySprint was your own doing but hey its the free world (although when i refer to free i don't mean work for free).

If its ok with you all i'd like to express my views on here and i'm happy to take any criticism thrown my way, although i do hope that when it does present itself it isn't childlike or derogutory.

CitySprint is a large company with a board of directors and an executive team that i answer to, and when it came to the rate cut i was certainly instrumental. I thought by at least being up front about the reduction in rates and presenting it face to face would help the couriers understand.

Unfortunately the information i had and the projection we made were inaccurate but i should have checked it and i didn't and as a result the couriers were hit harder in the pocket than we had originally planned.

Once the rates were cut, we implemented some new tariffs which have resulted in a number of new accounts starting (some already, and 3 large ones starting in two weeks).We also reduced the operational support staff, and although the remaining office staff never had to take a pay cut, they never received any bonus, payrises etc, and had to work weekends / nights for no extra pay.

I certainly don't know when the recession will be over but i feel the worst of it is over for CitySprint, and whilst we all endured hardships, some certainly more than others we are now in a position to improve on our rates which we have actioned as soon as possibly could. The new rates are clear, with no ambiguity, and certainly no mileage (unless your doing a job outside of the zone where the motorbike rate will be paid. I know the new rates are not the highest in London. However, with the sheer volume of work we enjoy, and the fact that at CitySprint the cycle courier is king the earning potential for a cycle courier will remain unrivalled. Fact.

I would also like to thank Firefly for showing great initiative in these difficult times. When delivering to a company, John managed to obtain compliment slips of the companies details and gave them to me with the contact details. As a result we managed to secure there business and John has received a down payment of £100 (£50 for each one) and i estimate that he will receive approx another £200 - £400 over the next few months as a commission on there spend. This was achieved through 2 compliments slips. (he has provided another 3 last friday so watch this space). A win win situation for everyone.

Also i would like to apologise to sideshow for responding like that. I sort of remember the conversation and i shouldn't have acted that way pure and simple and if you decide to return to CitySprint i'll make sure you won't be treated like that again.

Not trying to brown nose anyone, or paint an unrealistic picture. I could have done it better, and moving forward, it will be done better. The cycle courier plays a significant part of the future of CitySprint and all other companies and i'ver certainly not lost sight of that very fact.

Best intentions

The real Marc Patton
  • Whatever! people still got shafted... and all this happened when (or shortly after) you started to work at city sprint!!
    :sad:
  • i've been at CitySprint for almost 4 years! What exactly did i do to you to make it so personal? i'm somewhat confused.
  • isnt everyone? im not making it personal.. im the onlyone who spoke up.. innyt!
  • what about changing dockets? what about the £0.00 for jobs done? what about the missing coa's?
  • Changing dockets, come on?? 7 years ago at Anderson Young maybe altered a few to make them correct because the system was paying incorrectly.

The system in the first few days through out 90p jobs, even some 20 p jobs, and most likely a few 0 dockets (still get the occasional one now) but no one is going to get rich for missing coa's etc. Fill out a query sheet and if its wrong reimbursement will be made in full. Of course it should have been correct in the first place but it wasn't but it will get better.
  • Yeah, what about Jason and the £40000-£80000 of COAs? Why no police?
  • not having any of it! blame the system! crap! £0.00 was a recent thing! Yeah, what about Jason and the £40000-£80000 of COAs? Why no police? and this? what bout it? Eh...... and changing the dockets... do you really think we are that stupid?
  • (In case of any changes)

Well what a great forum although i'm somewhat dissapointed to have my name so badly taken in vain, especially by Pikey. Can't understand why your making everything so personal Pikey, your personal demise at CitySprint was your own doing but hey its the free world (although when i refer to free i don't mean work for free).

If its ok with you all i'd like to express my views on here and i'm happy to take any criticism thrown my way, although i do hope that when it does present itself it isn't childlike or derogutory.

CitySprint is a large company with a board of directors and an executive team that i answer to, and when it came to the rate cut i was more the messenger than the creator but it comes with the territory. I thought by at least being up front about the reduction in rates and presenting it face to face would help the couriers understand.

Unfortunately the information given to me was inaccurate but i should have checked it and i didn't and as a result the couriers were hit harder in the pocket than we had originally planned.

Once the rates were cut, we implemented some new tariffs which have resulted in a number of new accounts starting (some already, and 3 large ones starting in two weeks).We also reduced the office staff, and although the remaining office staff never had to take a pay cut, they never received any bonus, payrises etc, and had to work weekends / nights for no extra pay.

I certainly don't know when the recession will be over but i feel the worst of it is over for CitySprint, and whilst we all endured hardships, some certainly more than others we are now in a position to improve on our rates which we have actioned as soon as possibly could. The new rates are clear, with no ambiguity, and certainly no mileage (unless your doing a job outside of the zone where the motorbike rate will be paid. I know the new rates are not the highest in London. However, with the sheer volume of work we enjoy, and the fact that at CitySprint the cycle courier is king the earning potential for a cycle courier will remain unrivalled. Fact.

I would also like to thank Firefly for showing great initiative in these difficult times. When delivering to a company, John managed to obtain compliment slips of the companies details and gave them to me with the contact details. As a result we managed to secure there business and John has received a down payment of £100 (£50 for each one) and i estimate that he will receive approx another £200 - £400 over the next few months as a commission on there spend. This was achieved through 2 compliments slips. (he has provided another 3 last friday so watch this space). A win win situation for everyone.

Also i would like to apologise to sideshow for responding like that. I sort of remember the conversation and i shouldn't have acted that way pure and simple and if you decide to return to CitySprint i'll make sure you won't be treated like that again.

Not trying to brown nose anyone, or paint an unrealistic picture. I could have done it better, and moving forward, it will be done better. The cycle courier plays a significant part of the future of CitySprint and all other companies and i'ver certainly not lost sight of that very fact.

Best intentions

The real Marc Patton

Changing dockets, come on?? 7 years ago at Anderson Young maybe altered a few to make them correct because the system was paying incorrectly.

The system in the first few days through out 90p jobs, even some 20 p jobs, and most likely a few 0 dockets (still get the occasional one now) but no one is going to get rich for missing coa's etc. Fill out a query sheet and if its wrong reimbursement will be made in full. Of course it should have been correct in the first place but it wasn't but it will get better.

Now your beginning to understand my position. Jason is way way out of my control (i have several managers that i answer to). As for coa's i can assure you from i know (which is very little) it certainly was not coa's. Why no police? Its a question i have asked many times, but way above my pay grade.

I'm surprised you refuse to accept the system has any responsibility. Ultimately the responsbility lies on what the system is told. You all would have experienced on many occasions replica dockets that pay one rate one day and a different the next (higher and lower) and i'm talking about before any changes in rates.

However, moving forward we will make the system right because we will make sure its entered right.

As for the £0 dockets, if any money is outstanding let me know, show me the dockets and i'll pay you double what they should have been.

Also to clear up the confusion of the £1 minimum, we are looking (subject to agreement to the current fleet of cycle couriers and Kevin) to expandon on an economy same day service where we will be able to offer additional work that fits in with exisitng work (utilisation) to the couriers but the minimum (again subject to there approval) will be a lot more than £1.00. My point is that if we can increase your invoice amount from £350 to £400 or £450 to £500 for not a great deal of effort, why not. We don't make anything out of a minimum job but it supports the cycle courier fleet which supports what we're trying to do. We are not a charity but we are not a slavehouse either.

The main point and this isn't to bait anyone or gloat, but CitySprint will continute to be the number 1 place for cycle couriers. whether they go to Glasgow on the train (2 last week) or 50 EC's to EC's in a day it will continue. WHether i am there or not.

Any more questions?
  • I just hope that people will have enough loyalty with the riders that got shafted not to go back. This cunt will do it again rest assured. See Anderson young and Reuters.

"I'm surprised you refuse to accept the system has any responsibility. Ultimately the responsbility lies on what the system is told. You all would have experienced on many occasions replica dockets that pay one rate one day and a different the next (higher and lower) and i'm talking about before any changes in rates.".

The system pays a rate! For it to differ it has to be tinkered with, i.e you, you fat wanker, would have to go in and change it. You stole money from riders for a number of years. by now coming on this forum trying to explain yourself shows how desperate you are. Come to an end again, has it lardo? Whos next? You are running out of companies that believe the "Citi group, hub" model
  • ha ha ha...how interesting

I always enjoyed working at CS, and never had a problem with my earnings. Some days it was good others it was bad and others it was fucking wicked!! Things have got a bit slower lately, but im not there anymore so ha ha ha...as for this Pattern bloke...can we really blame one bloke for everything? if we can I think we should blame kev :wink: ...or Brian for leaving...he always kept me fed...:jumping:

Seriously though...1 rider was sent to bermuda, 1 made 400+ for a day (though there were changes made to double rush morning embassies after that) and 1 rider did 87 dockets once! I did manage to make over 200 for a day and had 700+ week (working 4 days!!!), though is this possible now? dont know? by the sounds of it probably not. I found the key to making cash at sprint was to be consistant, fast, turn up everyday and be a robot for the hours you work. Some of the riders i speak to say its shit, and others say that its ok, its not as good as it was but in the current climate its not going to be. Bigger companies like sprint and courier systems are not going to look after riders as much as smaller ones like creative, the controllers will try but there are too many people involved for them to do what they want...DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

But this thread is a very interesting read...and brings back some memories...ah

And i still dont know who this marc pattern is, apparantely he's big, fat, and has a baby face (according to coco)
  • Marc,

the fact that you have taken the time to respond to this thread does you credit, esp in view of the name-calling.

CS didn't invent rate-cutting - it's just what businesses do in a recession. And CS are by no means offering the cheapest rates.

CS have never struck me as being bent - I would be surprised if they were offering back-handers, much less ADC-style embezzlement.

As for the rest of the accusations, they are mostly innuendo.
  • Bill, are you looking for a job a CS?
  • Ha!

No, worked at SD/OYB years ago, enjoyed it, but no desire to return.
  • It's a City Sprint Ting

Ooh,d'wanna be a high roller?
    Ooh,cuz I'm the controller
    ooh,ooh ba-by
    Ooh,I'll send you down to Bermuda
    I'll be your batty intruder
    ooh,ahh ba-by
    (chorus)
    It's a City,it's a city,
    it's a city Sprint ting
    Move your body
    In your blue and white bling
    It's a City,it's a city,
    It's a City Sprint ting
    You make the most
    You are the courier King.

I'm gonna wear down
    your sprocket
    Put lot's of cash in
    your pocket
    Ooh,yeah baby
    I'll make sure you
    wont get shat on
    By this geezer
    called Pat-ton
    Ooh, now ba-by
    (chorus)x2
  • Metro got talent
  • you knows that angeleyes :wink:

marc patten- respect for coming on here, you are as far as i know through friends in offices of londons delivery fleets and on the road the most hated man in the business. not sure why you feel the need to defend yourself, you've essentially fucked over loads of us to get yourself a fat house, a fat wedge and fat car you love to rub in the faces of all of us (oh how we laughed when it got towed from roger st).

you may not have invented rate cutting but you have been instrumental in rate cuts at AY and RB while i was working at both. both times it was sold to the fleet as being to increase the volume of work and we were told quite explicitly that our wages would stay the same if not increase- this was patently not the case as we found out. london is an expensive city to live in and you have made it harder for knocking on a hundred people to survive by cutting their wages as price of living increases- who saved money? citigroup and a few other large banks. i find that fucking sickening. if rate cutting is the future of this business then this business has no future, fortunately there are companies out there that compete on service, not price- funnily the largest private hire company in europe pwn all of you and offer decent rates to riders.
  • I just deleted 2 comments, and banned the user markpatton (as opposed to marcpatton). I am all for debate etc, but please don't think that debate includes homophobic insults, grossly offensive comments and other cowardly nonsense.

Sleepy's post above falls into the category of 'fair comment', even if it is a little rude. And sleeps has had the guts to post on his own user account, not hide behind an alias.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!